A new report from business solutions firm Expert Market shows that Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk is wrong about working from home.
The world’s richest man has weighed in on the return to power debate earlier this month on Twitter by expanding on a leaked email sent to Tesla staffers. Musk wrote that remote work is “no longer acceptable” and anyone wishing to work remotely must be in the office for at least 40 hours a week or leave the auto business.
Responding to a Twitter follower who asked about the email and his thoughts on remote work, Musk said, “They should pretend to work somewhere else.”
They should pretend to work somewhere else
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 1, 2022
However, Expert Market’s survey of CEOs and founders of 125 European and North American companies shows that working from home has largely been beneficial for businesses and workers.
He found that 92% saw positive benefits flexible working options, with only 16% reporting negative impacts. 94% of executives said they would continue work in a hybrid/remote way.
Only 7% of hybrid companies aim to return to the office full-time within the next two years, while the remaining 93% will continue hybrid.
Nearly three in four (74%) of fully remote businesses that Expert Market spoke to said they would stay remote. 22% will transition to a hybrid working mode and 4% aim to return to the office next year.
Only 16% of respondents said hybrid/remote work had negative impacts, including:
- Isolation impacts employee mental health (6%);
- Technical/communication issues (2%);
- Employee burnout issues (2%);
- Missed office culture/connections (2%).
“It’s no surprise that companies are keen to maintain flexible working practices given improvements in employee productivity and happiness, and better work-life balance.
“It seems that the workplace changes brought about by the pandemic have helped companies and employers better understand how to get the most out of their employees; essentially, giving employees more control over where and how they work best,” said Chloe Mayo, Editor-in-Chief of Expert Market.
Read: South Africa is making a big push to localize – and has stopped using some international products: Ramaphosa