Arrest made in Chinatown brutal assault, April carjacking, police say


Five months after 61-year-old Jin Yut Lew was brutally beaten, robbed, carjacked and left for dead near the Chinatown neighborhood, Chicago police announced an arrest in the case.

“Lew is still not doing well,” Chief of Investigation Brendan Deenihan said during a Friday night news conference at Police Headquarters, 3510 S. Michigan Ave. “He needs 24-hour care.”

But after “good old-fashioned” police work, Termaine Patterson, 18, was arrested and charged with attempted murder, aggravated vehicle hijacking and armed robbery, Deenihan and Deering District Police Cmdr. Don Jerome, who was also at the press conference.

See also  Singapore's Justice and Home Affairs ministries refute statements by human rights groups about executions

Three others are still wanted, Deenihan said.

A minor was also arrested in connection with the case, but was only charged with possession of a stolen motor vehicle after being found in Lew’s SUV a few days after the attack, Deenihan said.

ald. Nicole T. Lee, 11th, who spoke briefly at the press conference, said the attack was a block from her home.

“We were so happy when an arrest was made,” Lee said.

On April 7, Lew was found by street sweepers in the city, bleeding on a sidewalk on the 2,500 block of South Princeton Avenue, police said at the time.

According to Lew’s family, “He was attacked repeatedly with a blunt object to the head and face and was left lying on the ground.”

Lew, who was not identified at the time, was taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition. Two days later, police returned to the hospital after a witness identified Lew, whose 2008 Lexus SUV had been reported stolen.

See also  Two British men, 22 and 23, arrested in Kos after 'German woman, 27, was raped'

After his family reported him missing, police were able to use video surveillance of that area and discovered that he had been followed by a vehicle that had been carjacked, Deenihan said.

Four people were in that car, which was also seen fleeing after video showed people running near Lew’s SUV and then exiting the scene in it.

Afternoon briefing

Afternoon briefing


The best stories from the TAUT editors, delivered to your inbox every afternoon.

“We realized that Lew was also robbed of all his belongings and car,” Deenihan said.

The actual beating was not captured on video, said Deenihan, who said detectives used license plate readers and tracked both vehicles, eventually finding them and finding out where Lew’s credit card was used.

See also  UCLA's Annual Volunteer Day Shines a Shine on Veterans' Tombstones

Finally, the video captured some of their faces and based on the locations of Lew’s vehicle, the police “placed” the attackers in the area, Deenihan; said.

Lew’s family prayed for his recovery, but according to his family and police, he fell into a coma at the time and a serious brain injury that ended his career.

“We’re praying for him to be released soon,” said Alford Lew, 35, who spoke on the phone about his family’s pain on the phone in the waiting room at Stroger Hospital a few days after his father was hospitalized. .

While they hoped for his recovery, Alford Lew reflected on his father’s hardworking life as a chef.

“As a father, he did everything he could to ensure that my brother and I received a good education. In the Chinese restaurant community, he was a well-respected chef who for more than 40 years gave many new immigrants their first start and trained them in his kitchen,” the son said, according to a GoFundMe site hosted by relatives, which had raised more. over $100,000 on Friday night.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here